Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Ladies Dinner

DSC_1744

This past Friday I had a few ladies over for a little dinner at the house.  I have to say I really enjoyed making dinner at the house and having people here.  Before Mr Isaac made his appearance, we would have planned a dinner out a restaurant, but (as MANY people told us) life is a little different with a little one. 

DSC_1746

I wanted the menu to be something that I could prep before hand and just pull together easily once my girls were here.  So I chose Roasted Spanish Chicken with sweet potatoes and onions and sautéed Brussels sprouts with craisins. 

DSC_1856

Roasted Citrus Chicken & Sweet Potatoes
adapted from Nigella Lawson & Life is Great

4-6 Chicken Thighs 1 sweet onion
2 Orange 1-2 tbsp dried oregano
3 medium sized Sweet Potatoes Salt and pepper
1-2 tbsp olive oil  

Preheat oven 350*.  Wash sweet potatoes.  Chop into even sized cubes (about 1/2” square).  Chop onion in similar size pieces.  Place on jelly roll pan (cookie sheet with raised edges).  Drizzle olive oil over veggies.  Sprinkle with salt and pepper – toss to coat.  Spread veggies out leaving room for chicken thighs.  Place chicken on pan and drizzle with olive oil.  Salt and pepper chicken.  Zest orange over chicken thighs.  Sprinkle oregano over chicken.

Place in pre-heated oven and bake for 45-50 minutes or until chicken is cooked through and veggies are tender and caramelized.

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

DSC_1861

Brussels Sprouts with Craisins

1 bag Brussels sprouts 1 bag craisins
1/2 onion, chopped 1 tbsp olive oil

Soak craisins in a bowl of water (we’ve also used red wine before) to re-hydrate cranberries.  Remove outer leaves of Brussels sprouts.  Chop off bottom.  Then thinly slice / chop the Brussels sprouts.  Dice onion.  Heat sauté pan over medium high heat.  Once pan is hot add olive oil, sprouts and onions.  Season with salt and pepper.  Sauté until sprouts are tender and onions are translucent.  Drain craisins and add to pan.  Serve immediately.

For dessert I did a simple Peach Crunch Cake from Bakerella.  It’s super tasty and I know it’s a very well known recipe.  I’ve made it before with strawberries but it’s nice to have some yummy fruit cobbler in the winter.  I would use another can of peaches if I made it again.  I would like more peaches!!

Have you been to any dinner parties recently?  Maybe thrown your own??  What’s your “go-to” recipe for having company?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I can't hear you!! Unless you leave a message. Holler back now!