Saturday, October 8, 2011

Banana Bread with a kick!

I love bananas.  I eat one almost every day.  But sometimes I can’t keep up with the ones in my fruit basket, so I am always looking for a new banana bread recipe to use my over-ripped bananas.  I was checking out Cooking Light’s All Time Favorite Recipes for Banana Bread and came upon a recipe for Bananas Foster Bread.  I love Banana’s Fosters and combine that with a cake.  Yes please!

DSC_8707

Here’s the recipe from Cooking Light:

  • 1 1/2 cups mashed ripe banana
  • 1 cup packed brown sugar, divided
  • 6 tablespoons butter, melted and divided
  • 1/4 cup cognac or dark rum, divided ( I had neither so just used normal light rum)
  • 1/3 cup plain fat-free yogurt (didn’t have plain so used vanilla flavored)
  • 2 large eggs
  • 6 3/4 ounces all-purpose flour (about 1 1/2 cups)
  • 1/4 cup ground flaxseed
  • 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
  • Cooking spray
  • 1/3 cup powdered sugar
Preparation
  • 1. Preheat oven to 350°.
  • 2. Combine banana, 1/2 cup brown sugar, 5 tablespoons butter, and 3 tablespoons cognac in a nonstick skillet. Cook over medium heat until mixture begins to bubble. Remove from heat; cool. Place banana mixture in a large bowl. Add yogurt, remaining 1/2 cup brown sugar, and eggs. Beat with a mixer at medium speed.
  • 3. Weigh or lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flour and next 5 ingredients (through allspice) in a small bowl. Add flour mixture to banana mixture; beat just until blended. Pour batter into a 9 x 5-inch loaf pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 1 hour or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Remove from oven; cool 10 minutes in pan on a wire rack. Remove bread from pan; place on wire rack.
  • 4. Combine remaining 1 tablespoon melted butter, remaining 1 tablespoon cognac, and powdered sugar; stir until well blended. Drizzle over the warm bread

DSC_8683

DSC_8686      DSC_8689

DSC_8680

DSC_8694      DSC_8696

DSC_8702      DSC_8704

DSC_8711

I have to say this banana bread was SUPER yummy!  Incredibly moist.  I love any excuse to eat banana “bread” when really it’s cake in a loaf pan.  Hey… I’m not complaining.

Oh and just to keep it real.  When I was making the glaze, I had a slight problem with the powdered sugar.  Oops.  That was a bit more than we needed…

DSC_8706

I would definitely recommend this recipe if you’ve got some leftover bananas hanging around.  And if you don’t I’d find some!  Have you made any yummy treats lately?  Do tell!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I can't hear you!! Unless you leave a message. Holler back now!