I love bananas. I eat one almost every day. But sometimes I can’t keep up with the ones in my fruit basket, so I am always looking for a new banana bread recipe to use my over-ripped bananas. I was checking out Cooking Light’s All Time Favorite Recipes for Banana Bread and came upon a recipe for Bananas Foster Bread. I love Banana’s Fosters and combine that with a cake. Yes please!
Here’s the recipe from Cooking Light:
- 1 1/2 cups mashed ripe banana
- 1 cup packed brown sugar, divided
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted and divided
- 1/4 cup cognac or dark rum, divided ( I had neither so just used normal light rum)
- 1/3 cup plain fat-free yogurt (didn’t have plain so used vanilla flavored)
- 2 large eggs
- 6 3/4 ounces all-purpose flour (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1/4 cup ground flaxseed
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
- Cooking spray
- 1/3 cup powdered sugar
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°.
- 2. Combine banana, 1/2 cup brown sugar, 5 tablespoons butter, and 3 tablespoons cognac in a nonstick skillet. Cook over medium heat until mixture begins to bubble. Remove from heat; cool. Place banana mixture in a large bowl. Add yogurt, remaining 1/2 cup brown sugar, and eggs. Beat with a mixer at medium speed.
- 3. Weigh or lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flour and next 5 ingredients (through allspice) in a small bowl. Add flour mixture to banana mixture; beat just until blended. Pour batter into a 9 x 5-inch loaf pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 1 hour or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Remove from oven; cool 10 minutes in pan on a wire rack. Remove bread from pan; place on wire rack.
- 4. Combine remaining 1 tablespoon melted butter, remaining 1 tablespoon cognac, and powdered sugar; stir until well blended. Drizzle over the warm bread
I have to say this banana bread was SUPER yummy! Incredibly moist. I love any excuse to eat banana “bread” when really it’s cake in a loaf pan. Hey… I’m not complaining.
Oh and just to keep it real. When I was making the glaze, I had a slight problem with the powdered sugar. Oops. That was a bit more than we needed… ☺
I would definitely recommend this recipe if you’ve got some leftover bananas hanging around. And if you don’t I’d find some! Have you made any yummy treats lately? Do tell!